Wednesday, November 28, 2012


On November 14 I learned a lot. We went over various hacking techniques such as remote control of a computer via ssh, stack smashing, and format string attack. This was really interesting because I never knew you could control a computer from a different town or city. I got to practice hacking by stack smashing which has lots of different techniques. One way is to over flow the program by giving it too many characters. A quick way to type a certain number of characters is by using this format: perl -e 'print "A"x10'. I also learned about hexadecimal numbers which are based on 16 instead of the normal 10. Each character has a corresponding hexadecimal number. We can use this information when trying to smash the stack. I also learned some C++ coding. We went over arrays which assign a certain number of spaces that can be filled with characters. For example: int x[10]; has ten spaces for integers to fill. I also learned how to use a for loop. The format for a for loop looks like this: for(int i = 0;i<10;i++) . This example says that there is an integer x that is equal to zero. When i is less than 10 run through the commands below and add one to i. 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post, Lauren! You seem to be learning lots of new computer programming. I love the syntax examples.

    ReplyDelete