Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yesterday I went to my internship and I learned a lot. I learned about the four different types of USB devices that are used as ways to do transfer information. They are HID, U3 smart drives, normal USB drives, and USB keyloggers. Sadly many of these things are difficult to use because there are now built in protection mechanism in peoples computers, from over use of these devices. Things such as autorun in USB drives and USB keyloggers are now gone or have warnings that pop-up that would identify the user. A way people get around this and a popular field is social engineering. Social engineering is basically tricking people into doing things they wouldn't normally do or want to do. For example, if you name a file and call it passwords many people will click on it and look through it. Social engineering takes advantage of human nature and curiosity. Today I also learned more coding. I learned how to use while, which is much like a for loop, only it does not use numbers. While learning to use a while statement I also learned about Boolean, which basically returns whether the condition is true or false. In the while statement I wrote, it returned a Boolean. I read a few articles on Windows programming (link found below).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff381398(v=vs.85).aspx

1 comment:

  1. Interesting information, Lauren! I never knew there were so many USB devices. I really like your description of social engineering.

    I am impressed with how quickly you are learning this information. Have you done this type of work before?

    Your link seems to go to your email account. Please correct.

    ReplyDelete