Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Today I went to my internship and we talked about the code I used for my One Time Pad program and things I can do to improve it.

One Time Pad Encryption
Basically I start by converting the message into a bites, which is also known as one's and zero's. I then generate a random key of one's and zero's. I then compare the two strings. I then compare numbers at each position. If they are the same, it places a zero in that same position in the ciphertext. If they are different, the program puts a one in that position. The ciphertext is then printed to the screen.

One Time Pad Decryption

In order to decrypt the ciphertext, the program first compares the ciphertext with the key. Just like before if the number is the same, then it places a zero and if its different it places a one. This will give you the binary for the message. Then next step is to convert the binary to characters. After this step the program prints the original message to screen.

I am going to add a few improvements to my program. I am going to add the -e and -d commands which will allow me to control whether the program encrypts or decrypts. Right now, the program does both at the same time, which is unconventional. I also want to add a command that allows me to enter a key and ciphertext pair, and then will decrpyt the ciphertext and give me the original message.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, this all seems great! I will admit, you have moved well beyond my level of comprehension, but you clearly seem to be on task and making nice progress.

    Would you be able to give me a personal demonstration some time? If so, send me some frees.

    As always, keep up the excellent work!!

    ReplyDelete