Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Today I went to my internship. I learned about so many interesting things. I learned about secret sharing which is basically when you have a number on the y-axis (y-intercept). This number is your secret. To encrypt it you create a graph and have points on that graph. Depending on the graph you will not be able to figure out the number without a certain number of points. Like for example if you just have a linear graph you only need two points to figure out the y-intercept, while for a sine graph you need four points. The more points needed the more secure the message is.

I also learned about the three things that people try to maintain in cryptography.

  1. Confidentiality
  2. Integrity 
  3. Authentication 
In order to maintain confidentiality people use ciphers (methods of encryption). In order to maintain integrity hashing is used. A hash is a unique identifier that changes even if you only change one thing in the message or program. Authentication is maintain by using signatures similar to how we use signatures for signing important documents.

Another thing I learned about is Public Key Cryptography.  In PKC every person has two keys. One public key for people to use to send you encrypted messages and a private key to decrypt those messages. The two keys are opposite of each other meaning that if I encrypt using my private key anyone can use my public key to decrypt it. This allows people to have a signature. By encrypting part of the message with their private key they show that it is actually them sending the message.

Another thing I learned about is Deniable Encryption which allows you to have two different keys that will give you two different messages when used. This is useful if someone is kidnapped or held at gunpoint and forced to give a key to decrypt the message.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice overview of all that you learned. I am impressed with all of the new material that you seem to assimilate each visit. You have amassed a great collection of knowledge. I wonder where it may lead you in the future? Super safe email, if nothing else!!

    ReplyDelete